Looking for a cheap date that will last the whole summer? You should give gardening a try!
This summer my husband and I decided to plant a few of our most used herbs and vegetables around our backyard. Neither of us have much of a green thumb so this project was definitely a gamble.
We decided to give this a shot for a couple reasons:
- We like the convenience and freshness of having a patio garden
- It makes our backyard look crisp and healthy
- Gardening is something we can do together and will help us spend more time outside
On Saturday, we took a trip to the Halifax Seaport Market and bought some beautiful plants and herbs at Shubie River Vineyards. We bought tomato and lettuce plants, thyme, rosemary, basil, mint and oregano. We also bought some catnip and cat grass for Benny and Murphy. I highly recommend you stop in and check them out! The staff was super helpful and knowledgeable, especially since we have no idea what we’re doing when it comes to planting.
There are so many great reasons to grow your own food but I’ve settled on these as my top three:
- Fruits and vegetables from your garden are higher in nutrients than the ones that have traveled many miles to get to your grocery store
- Growing your own fruits and vegetables can offer you the opportunity to reduce the amount of pesticides that you consume, making them healthier
- Growing your own garden will save you money on your grocery bill
If you’re looking for some help with what to plant and where is best, check out www.epicgardening.com/13-best-gardening-websites.
Have a great week and happy gardening!
Remember that children, marriages, and flower gardens reflect the kind of care they get. — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.